Thursday, March 5, 2009

Dead Man Walking. B


I admired 'Dead Man Walking,' but it's difficult to discern how much I really liked it. It is a disturbing movie that gives us a look at the death penalty from both sides and doesn't try to preach whether it is good or bad. It just gives us a vivid picture of what the entire situation is like. It leaves it up to us to decide. Sean Penn plays the man who is one his way to death row and Susan Sarandon plays a nun who, at his request, becomes his spiritual advisor. The acting from Penn and Sarandon gives us one of the finest screen duos of the 1990's. Their presence is powerful. Tim Robbins writes and directs the film which is based off of the book of the same name. THe movie is pretty much flawless, but as I said, it isn't the sort of movie that is supposed to make feel excited or happy. It is definitely food for thought. I really liked how they gave both sides so much attention. Also most movies that leave the conflict up in the air still sort of lean towards one side. This one doesn't. I admire it greatly, but I don't know if I can ever love it. (note: while I was watching the movie, I noticed Matthew's (Penn) brother with the rounder face and I couldn't tell who it was. In case you wonder, it was Jack Black in one of his earlier, less prominent roles)

No comments: