Sunday, March 1, 2009

Identity. C


James Mangold's 'Identity' gets on its two feet by using a setting that is very reminiscent of a certain 'Bates Motel' and a plot that resembles Agatha Christie's classic 'Ten Little Indians.' The movie is about ten strangers who are forced to stop at an eerie motel for the night due to a dangerous storm that is flooding the roads. Lets see if I can rattle them off: a taxi driver, an actress, a mother, father, their son, a hooker, a cop, a prisoner, and a pair of newly weds. Also there is the mysterious manager of the hotel. The cast includes John Cusack, Ray Liotta, and Amanda Peet. All seems to be going well until the actress is brutally murdered. Then one by one the guests begin to die. Who is doing it? The movie plays like a typical thriller, and it is indeed thrilling. I was glued to the screen form the entire movie. Unfortunately, the answer we want or expect is not the answer we get. Plus, the movie, as already stated, is not too original. As I was watching I was guessing who the killer was. I ended up sort of getting the right answer, though not in the way I thought. The movie boasts solid performances, especially from Cusack and Liotta, and if you love thrillers, then this movie is definitely for you. But I suggest you watch some of Mangold's more impressive works, such as 'Cop Land' or '3:10 to Yuma.'

No comments: