Sunday, March 15, 2009

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. D


Clint Eastwood has made many great movies in his long career of both acting and directing. A case could be made that he is one of the most accomplished filmmakers of all time, though many of his movies don't warrant multiple viewings or in depth discussion. But I guess every great figure has at least one disaster, and 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' is Eastwood's. This is a murder mystery that has little depth and is more disgusting than intriguing. John Cusack plays a reporter who is following the murder case of Jim Williams, played by Kevin Spacey. There are no shocking twists or turns as we might expect in this movie, and that is very disappointing considering the fact that we have to plunder through it for a full two and a half hours. Besides the plot of the movie, the real letdown was the characters. Cusack makes for a flat, shallow reporter, Allison Eastwood (Clint Eastwood's daughter) plays Cusack's love interest, who, like Cusack, is perfectly boring. As I watched her act, she reminded me of an actress from long ago, but I couldn't think of who it was. I suddenly realized that I was comparing her to Carroll Baker from 'Giant.' Watch, and see if you find the same resemblance. There were other characters as well who were meant to be unique, but they were too eccentric for my taste. Luckily, this wasn't Eastwood's own idea. The movie is based off of a best seller by John Berendt. Why it was a best seller, I have no idea, and why it was made into a movie, especially by Eastwood, is beyond my understanding.

No comments: