Saturday, March 28, 2009

Taxi Driver. A


Martin Scorsese is one of greatest directors in all of the cinema and I think just about everyone will agree with me on that. The reasons for his greatness varies from fan to fan, but to me his excellence lies in the fact that almost everything that makes a movie great can be found in his pictures: great acting, terrific character studies as well deep themes surrounding different types human behavior, bold stories, a gritty, realistic style and feel, technical quality that ranks among the best... I could go on as to why he is great, but most of you already know. I also like Scorsese's work because though he always offers thought provoking stories, his movies never cease to be supremely entertaining. Many call 'Raging Bull' his greatest film, while others will say that 'Goodfellas' is his best work. There are even some who say that 'The Departed' is his best movie, but though incredibly engaging, it is definitely not his finest film. To me, Martin Scorsese's best movie is 'Taxi Driver.' The followup would be 'Goodfellas.' There is no reason to go into great detail as to why 'Taxi Driver' is his best movie. It is a masterpiece if there ever was one. Robert De Niro gives one of the best performances of his career as the depressed war veteran Travis, who makes a living as a taxi driver in New York. He obviously has problems, but he also is a thoughtful person who recognizes so much corruption in the city. I'll leave the plot there. 'Taxi Driver' gives us an ending that really made the movie for me, because it offers so much discussion as to the fate of the protagonist. I have my own opinion about the ending and what it actually means, but I won't reveal it completely. All I can say is that Travis could not have survived. The end of the movie is what Travis desired all of his life, but his inability to cope with society kept him from fulfilling his dream. The combination of immorality, corruption, and Travis' slightly psychic persona kept him from being able to live in this world. I know that I haven't mentioned Jodie Foster yet. All I will say there is that I think the scene between her and De Niro in the diner is one of the finest acted scenes I've ever seen. (when I wrote about Scorsese's most recent movie I mentioned his upcoming 'Shutter Island,' or 'Ashecliffe.' It is a thriller based off of a Dennis Lehane novel which I have since read. It was a great story and I think this could potentially be the next great movie from Scorsese)

No comments: