Saturday, July 4, 2009

Miss Congeniality. C


One can only go so far in talking about a flick about an FBI agent who enters a beauty pageant to try to stop a mysterious terrorist plot. The FBI agent is Gracie (Sandra Bullock), who, though looked upon as a bit of a tomboy by some, has the beauty to qualify for the pageant. Of course she is doing it to stop the terrorist plot. The movie is predictable and obvious in its intentions, but that's not to say I wasn't entertained. Bullock has the necessary charisma to make her character likable, and some of the comic moments did induce laughs (the early scene in Starbucks comes to mind). For some reason, Michael Caine plays Gracie's beauty advisor. This was perhaps the wrong role for Caine, because he doesn't even come close to stealing the show the way so often does. Wow, is this movie stupid. But I guess it was supposed to be. I managed to make it through the movie without getting too bored, but I don't think I would be able to do the same with the sequel, 'Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous,' which is probably why I am doing my best to avoid it.

No comments: