Sunday, July 26, 2009

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. C+


Will Ferrell's identity as a comic mega star is growing with each new semi-parodic he comes out with. Now I enjoyed 'Anchorman,' and I thought 'Blades of Glory' was mostly hilarious, but what I really thought I'd love was his NASCAR movie, 'Talladega Nights.' Well, I was wrong. Now, though the movie as a whole disappoints, there were some moments where I found myself laughing quite hard. I'm not sure why, but I cracked up when Ricky Bobby (Ferrell) is talking to his racing nemesis, Jean Girard (Sacha Baron Cohen) about his favorite movie, 'Highlander.' He then says that it won an Oscar. Girard asks him for what? Bobby replies: "For best movie ever made." That made me laugh more than anything in the film. That and when Ricky Bobby is injured and stabs himself with a knife. Oh, and also the scene at the Bobby's dinner table. So, while the movie as a whole doesn't really work, it certainly has its moments, which, is essentially what Ferrell's movies are about. Not the whole movie, but those little scenes that are supposed to make you buckle up with laughter. But when the film ended, I didn't feel like I had just seen a great comedy. Still, it's worth watching once, and for die-hard Ferrell fans, over and over just to see those key moments of genuine comedy.

No comments: