Friday, August 7, 2009

Glengarry Glen Ross. A


'Glengarry Glen Ross' is one of those rare movies that I watched twice in one sitting. And after that second viewing I knew that this is truly a great film and one that will be one of my personal favorites for years to come. I'm not going to talk about the plot because that would ruin the experience of seeing it. I will say that its a flawlessly constructed movie about Real Estate salesman based off a play by David Mamet. It gives us a sample of their lives, and I know that it's very accurate (based off my own personal knowledge and a review from an IMDB user). For a movie that's 100 minutes, 'Glengarry Glen Ross' has an abundance of harsh profanity, but to me it further adds to the realism of the picture, because based on that IMDB review, that's exactly how the salesmen talk to one another. This movie features an outstanding cast, each of whom brings their A game: Ed Harris, Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alan Arkin, Alec Baldwin (he only has one scene, but it's one of the most memorable scenes I've witnessed) and Kevin Spacey. All of these actors (who are true actors who I don't like to call movie stars) shine like there's no tomorrow. 'Glengarry Glen Ross,' as evident by my back-to-back viewing, is the sort of movie that can be watched over and over again with ease. And by that I mean it's not a film that you have to think about whether you should spend a portion of your day watching. You just watch it. You really have to see the movie to understand why it's so masterful. I admit even I was dubious about it at first. After all, who wouldn't be when encountering a movie called 'Glengarry Glen Ross.' I loved this movie. I loved, loved, loved it.

No comments: