Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Clash of the Titans. A-


With the first footage of Hollywood's revamped version of 'Clash of the Titans' just released, I decided this would be a good time to briefly share my thoughts on the original. I've seen the 1981 cult classic based off the Greek myth of Perseus many times and am probably more familiar with it than most. Personally I think it's exceptional entertainment, something that doesn't try to blow the viewer away with special effects, yet never loses its excitement due to the inventiveness of the evil creatures. This is a movie that relies heavily on the imagination of the audience. It shouldn't be watched to criticize the special effects ( they are quite dreadful, especially considering that this was made in 1981, when decent effects were possible). Rather it should be enjoyed for its ability to create suspense without the benefit of modern technology. The movie's best scene comes when Perseus encounters three witches, who hold the secret to defeating the Kraken. It has a strange sense of comic terror, as the witches are treacherous, yet severely constricted by their inability to see. Perseus has a good deal of fun with them, knowing that the only way they can see is with a stone that he's able to lure them with. 'Clash of the Titans' is not a masterpiece of mythology and filmmaking. It's quite outdated, which is one of the flaws that comes with a poor production. Yet it is a masterpiece of storytelling. As I said, it requires the viewer's imagination to pull of its effect entirely. The story has some of the best mythical creatures, including the aforementioned blind witches and of course Medusa, the gorgon whose hair is replaced with hissing snakes. I can't really say I'm looking forward to the remake. The first trailer clearly depicts the heavy use of CGI and I'm afraid this will take away the wonder and imaginativeness of the original. But that's not to say I won't be there to see it. And who knows, maybe by not expecting much I'll be swept off my feet by it.

No comments: