Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. A


So I finally saw 'Eternal Sunshine' again. After my first viewing of the movie I was laden with questions that could only be answered by experiencing the story again. Now, the answers did come and I understood the movie as whole substantially more than I did the first time I watched it. But that's not the real reason I now treasure it. By having a pretty clear idea of what events were taking place in the movie, I was then able to turn my attention to other things besides the overall plot: Jim Carrey's wonderfully sad yet sublime performance. I thought it was great the first time, but by understanding his character more it came to me as truly brilliant. Then there are the other stories that screenwriter Charlie Kaufman effortlessly spins into the plot. The relationships between the supporting characters played by Mark Ruffalo, Kirsten Dunst, Elijah Wood, and Tom Wilkinson. The first time I saw the film they were there merely as plot pieces. Now I see them as integral parts of the story. I admired the movie the first time I saw it but didn't really get it. Now I love it and can't wait to see it again.

No comments: