Monday, May 24, 2010

Friday the 13th. B


The slasher genre has picked up steam in the last several years, but nearly all of them have been sequels or remakes of old classic horror movies. Last year the 12th film in the Friday the 13th franchise came out and to sum it up short, it was worthless. To me, the only real treasure in this franchise is the very original made back in 1980. And even it's not a great movie by my standards. But, for a horror film with lots blood and thrills, it doesn't get too much better than this. All the clichés in recent slasher pictures can be found here. But the only difference is here they're not clichés because this movie was essentially the first of its kind (though some would argue that title belongs to John Carpenter's 'Halloween,' made two years earlier). At the time it was made the movie must have been even more terrifying than it is now, what with all the similar movies that have followed it. But I was still plenty scared while watching it and though I didn't actually cover my eyes, I definitely felt like it. Usually if you want a movie to end it's because it's unbearably stupid. This I wanted to end because it was unbearably creepy. I expected to see Jason and his hockey mask at the end, but that doesn't happen. Instead we get a big surprise, someone far scarier than Jason will ever be.

No comments: