Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Summer Movies.

'Summer movie season' is a term that didn't really mean a whole lot to me until about five or six years ago. Now, fully aware that this is the time of year when Hollywood loads its guns with the biggest, loudest, and best, I await Summer movie season with great anticipation. It's the time in which you can expect a big release every weekend and, with school out, seeing your favorites twice couldn't be easier. Summer is when we see movies that are noisy and stupid. But Summer also sometimes contains some of the best films of the year. This is a great, exciting time of year for people who like movies-and that's just about everyone. We all have our preferences, the ones we look forward to the most. Mine, in a list limited to ten, are below:

IRON MAN 2. Who isn't looking forward to this? It comes out tomorrow and kicks off the summer movie season just as its predecessor did two years before. Expect it to plow through the box office, leaving all other movies in the dust and possibly breaking the opening weekend record.

TOY STORY 3: Another sequel (no surprise). I love Toy Story 1 and 2, and I'm extremely glad that this the series is wrapping up with an even three (at least I hope so-I would be really irritated to see a fourth come along). I almost know that this will be good, and, if the folks at Pixar are up to their usual creative artistry, quite possibly great.

ROBIN HOOD. When I first heard about this project I was very dubious about it. Then I realized a large percent of today's audience probably hasn't seen the original Robin Hood with Errol Flynn. I don't really think there has been a great adaptation since then. So this could be their first proper introduction to the legendary outlaw. And for those of us who have seen the 1938 classic, we can still expect to see an extremely well-made action-adventure flick from Mr. Slick, Ridley Scott.

PREDATORS. Now that I've seen the original 'Predator,' I'm very excited to see what happens in this highly anticipated sequel. Adrian Brody, who's one of the best actors working today, stars. It's an odd casting choice, considering we don't often see him in action movies. But he handled 'King Kong' just fine, and I expect him to do the same here.

JONAH HEX. Before the trailer was released last week, this was my most anticipated movie of the summer. I had no clue what it was about or what it would look like. Now that there's footage my mind has shifted slightly. It looks entertaining, but it also looks like it could be awful. But who knows. I'm still really excited about it.

THE A-TEAM. Not one of those big fans of the original show and I don't really know anyone who is, but everything I've seen from the trailer makes this look like it could be a blast.

THE KILLER INSIDE ME. Now this one isn't really a 'summer movie,' but it's getting a release date along with some of the hottest flicks of the year. The cast includes Casey Affleck, Kate Hudson, and Jessica Alba. This movie sounds dark, eerie, incredibly violent, and, for arbitrary reasons, rather awesome.

THE OTHER GUYS. I'm not sure about any of the comedies coming out this summer, but if I had to pick one to bet my money on it'd probably be this one.

SPLICE. Here's another one with Adrian Brody. It's seems to be pretty solid Science Fiction, but it also could be as bad as last year's 'Pandorum.' or this year's 'Repo Men.' I'll see this one expecting it to be lousy, but hoping it will be great.

INCEPTION. This is a real mystery of a movie. Christopher Nolan has kept the movie's premise very concealed, making very little room for speculation as to whether it will be good or not. But Nolan's track record is flawless and I'm expecting him to keep the tradition up with this one.

No comments: