Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Battleship Potemkin. A


There isn't too much to say about this one. Either you write a massive composition on it, or you say that it's not one of the greatest movies ever made, but that it is one of the greatest movies of its time. I watched the movie twice and may see it more in the future. It's a cool movie because the more you learn about history and the more you learn about filmmaking, the more you'll get out of it. I found the first twenty minutes of the movie to be really amazing, and then of course the famous scene on the steps lived up to its acclaim. Now I know where all those movies got the idea to have a baby in a carriage helplessly roll down a flight of steps. There is hardly a moment in the movie that doesn't show some sort of tension. The soundtrack is very urgent and at times I wished it would quiet down a bit. There's no individual characters in the movie, no point of view. It's almost as if Eisenstein manipulated actual events to get his point across. The movie has been restored and is quite accessible. One of the changes made was the adding red to the battleship flag in what's an otherwise colorless film. I don't know much about this addition or who suggested it, but I do know that these little tweaks always irritate me. It's like when George Lucas changed the image of Darth Vader's ghost in Empire Strikes Back. To me, these things are unforgivable.

No comments: