Monday, June 21, 2010

Deconstructing Harry. C-


Woody Allen's Deconstructing Harry felt very auto-biographical, which would lead you to think the movie would be very funny. But the story, though a comedy, bravely deals with issues that are so serious that it's hard to really laugh at them. And I think Allen could have made this funnier, but he's so focused on dealing with Harry's character, which seems very much like his own, that he forgets to put in those strange, awkward moments that make his movies so enjoyable. Sure, there are a few of them, but for the most part I found the movie to be more of a serious meditation on the deconstruction of a confused man. But I suppose that was Allen's intent. The cast here is exceptional, as Allen finds a great group of actors to fit the roles of characters who are based off of his own life (that is, Harry's life). And as usual, Allen offers his trademark complaints about society, people, and life. But for some reason the movie didn't work for me. Despite not making me laugh, I found that perhaps it dealt with too many different aspects of life instead of tackling a single mystery. Or tried to at least, because at 90 some odd minutes it's hard to fit everything in. But Allen has made so many movies (generally one per year) that the bad ones can easily be forgotten and replaced by the countless gems he's managed to produce. And, though I didn't care for this this particular one, I have to admit that Allen does exactly what he wants, as always. That's nice.

No comments: