Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Nightmare on Elm Street. B


All these remakes of old horror movies have got me realizing how few of the originals I've actually seen. And the fact that these movies are being remade isn't a good thing. It's not like they're updating the film. It simply means that, for the most part, they're adding more violence and sex to a classic story. There's almost always a guarantee that the flick it's based on is worth seeing. So, with the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street arriving several weeks ago, I decided to pay a visit to the original. It's a pretty shocking movie, eerie in its own original way, but for some reason not very scary. And by scary I mean fear at what will happen next to the point where you're afraid to watch. I wasn't afraid of this movie. Maybe it's because of the story's fantastical element. Because Freddy Krueger haunting the dreams of these teenagers makes it less frightening because it's not as real. If he were alive and terrorizing the neighborhood then I might have freaked out. But if he was existing in the flesh then this wouldn't have been as fresh. As it is, the movie is very original and almost fascinating. If you're not a fan of horror movies (I'm admittedly no geek when it comes to them) you might still want to check it out because this was Johnny Depp's first movie. It's strange seeing Depp so young, and though his character doesn't do much, it's still fun to see him in his early days. From pop culture I know that Krueger is an interesting character. Unfortunately the movie doesn't make him anything more than a spooky, burned monster with knives. His story is told by one of the mom's, but I think maybe a flashback would have been more suitable. But then again, that's what all those sequels are for.

No comments: