Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Stepfather. C+


'The Stepfather' is about a seemingly perfect middle-aged man who uses his charm and wit to win over a recently divorced mother. They meet in a grocery store and six months later are engaged to be married. The guy seems just about perfect, but there's one drawback: he's a serial killer. Sounds spooky enough, doesn't it? Well it is. This isn't a one of those bloody disgusting serial killer movies where victims are shown in graphic detail. Rather it's quietly suspenseful, using that famous trick where you know the guy's a killer so every time he pops up you freak out. The film I'm talking about is the 2009 version, which is a remake of the 1987 original starring Terry O'Quinn from 'Lost.' A lot of people dismissed this 2009 version, saying it was a cheap, unnecessary remake without the sharpness or intelligence of the first one. But I haven't seen the original so I can't comment on that. What I can say is this 2009 version is diverting enough and constantly shiver inducing. Of course we can see what will happen a mile away, but for people like me, who haven't seen the original, it's worth checking out. And the final scene was chilling and perfect. I assume the original ends the same way, but if it doesn't, then I'd have to think that there's at least one thing this remake does that's superior to the original.

No comments: