Saturday, June 19, 2010

Toy Story 3. A


It's no secret that this summer movie season has become increasingly lousier by the week, both in the quality of the movies and their box office returns. But with Toy Story 3 and the emotional impact it brings, does it really matter? Does anything else this summer mean anything? Not really. Toy Story 3 is what this summer is all about, and even if Predators and Inception are great, I'll leave the season looking back at only one film. The Toy Story universe easily carries more nostalgia than any of the other Pixar creations. The conclusion to the story makes this one of the finest trilogies ever, and for me, the most meaningful. I remember seeing the first Toy Story and being terrified of Sid. I remember going to see Toy Story 2 when my brother was making a movie in the house and asked everyone to leave. And I recall seeing both films countless times as I grew older. And with each year that passed, I saw the movies differently. I realized that Sid wasn't really all that bad. Just a bored, cowardly little boy who lives next door. I saw that there was a point being made about the relationship a kid has to his toys. Now with Toy Story 3, I understand it more than ever. Andy and is the same age as I am. The only difference is that all my childhood toys broke before starting high school. It looks like Andy doesn't care much for his toys anymore, and yet he still has them, meaning he must feel something for them. Then we realize he's nostalgic too, and when he recalls the wonder of playing with them, Pixar makes its grandest statement yet. I loved this movie, naturally, and together with the first two it makes for one of the finest and most complete stories ever told.

No comments: