Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Men in Black. C+


And all this time I thought Men in Black was an all-out action movie. I saw Men in Black 2 before seeing the original (which isn't as bad an idea as it may sound) and immediately picked up that it was a comedy. But for some reason, I was under the impression that MIB 1 was a hard core science fiction action movie. Where did that idea come from? And maybe that's one of the reasons I didn't love this movie because somehow I was mislead to thinking it was something it wasn't. I was prepared for a cool action movie and I got a comedy, which for me is never a good thing. I always like to know what I'm getting into beforehand, not in terms of the story, but what the genre is. If I saw the movie again, I'm sure I would like it, but I'm also sure it wouldn't become a better movie. The truth is that Men in Black is a light, goofy sci-fi comedy that, despite its clever ideas, cannot ever really be considered great. At the time it came out it was new and fresh, but for someone like me, it doesn't come across as such an invigorating exercise in the comedy genre.

No comments: