Friday, August 20, 2010

Breathless. A-


That my first viewing of Breathless coincided with the re-release of the film into U.S. cinemas is a pure case of irony. But I suppose the timing is pretty good, because I want to see it again and watching it on the big screen would be pretty cool. I'm not surprised that I didn't love the film and a repeat viewing isn't about giving this classic a second chance. I know that this is an influential movie and I know exactly why. But if I match this up with Shoot the Piano Player, I think I might prefer the latter simply because it does more with less time. But Breathless is still a movie that any informed viewer cannot dislike. It would sort of be like saying Stan Musial isn't a great player because you like Mickey Mantle more. One's respect and appreciation for a great contribution to a great art format is what makes Breathless a great movie. And of course, the personal appeal could very well increase upon further examination of the film, whether it be at the Angelika Dallas or the comfort of home.

No comments: