Saturday, August 14, 2010

City Lights. A


In my house there are a few Charlie Chaplin DVD collections, but most of them consist of old shorts that haven't piqued my interest enough for me to actually sit down and watch them. And though I know a bit about Chaplin from seeing various clips and reading various tidbits, I haven't really experienced why he's considered not just a great entertainer, but a true genius behind and in front of the camera. That is, until I saw City Lights. City Lights is often called Chaplin's best movie, and if you haven't seen his work before, I strongly recommend seeing it as an introduction to one of the biggest names of the silent era. City Lights is one of the rare movies that offers something genuinely clever, funny, or moving with nearly every scene. It has to be called a comedy since Chaplin is up to so much of his usual shenanigans so often, but when has a comedy been this moving? No, I didn't cry at the end like so many people have, but that closing scene did live up to its legend and I was completely touched by the humanity Chaplin infuses. City Lights was especially beneficial for me because not only did I get to watch a masterpiece, but I really got to see the greatness of Chaplin and why he's often mentioned in the same sentence with the silent master, Buster Keaton.

No comments: