Sunday, August 1, 2010

Fever Pitch. A-


The more you're a baseball fan, the more you'll enjoy Fever Pitch (that's unless you're from New York, in which case you'll probably want to stay away from it all together). Yeah, it's a generic romantic comedy, but it also pays a pretty nice tribute to Red Sox history and the current Red Sox Nation. Now, I've been interested in Fever Pitch since that day in 2004 when I was watching the Texas Rangers play at Fenway on the day they were filming the opening day scene. There were several shots of Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon and when it was announced that some of the Rangers would actually be included in the film, I got pretty excited. And indeed, it was cool seeing the footage of the game. There's a nice shot of Mark Teixeira hitting one off the monster as well as a few other Rangers in action, including Ron Mahay and Demarlo Hale. Fever Pitch does a great job of capturing the spirit of a the Fenway faithful (and that's pretty much everyone who lives in Boston), but what I really liked about it was how it showed the compromise a fan of such high caliber must make when dating a successful businesswoman who could care less about baseball. I wonder how many relationships in Boston play out the same way. I think this is probably one of my favorite romantic comedies, and my obsession with baseball probably has a lot to do with that. If not for the Red Sox aspect, this movie would be pure formula. But with such a fresh spin on the genre and some star chemistry between Barrymore and Fallon, I sort of loved Fever Pitch the way some people love When Harry Met Sally... And I thought that movie was pretty great, too.

No comments: