Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fall Movies.

A few months ago I wrote of my anticipation of summer movie season 2010, but now that's it's over, just one word describes it, and that word is boring. I think the coming months offer the same cinematic zeal, but I also think it's fair to say that the movies will be much more fulfilling. The summer is about studios putting out the biggest, loudest, and funniest. In contrast, the fall is catered more to the individual filmmakers and their projects that can actually be personal to them. You'll find the majority of audiences weary of the fall movies simply because they're not just about the public's needs. And that's fine with me because when I look at my favorite modern films, most of them found a release between September and December. While there are certainly some phony dramas full of Oscar pretensions, the majority of the fall's offerings are movies made because someone wanted to share something with others rather than making money. And while the fall is always about the smaller movies with great acting, there are some mainstream films that have me excited, too.

Starting in September, there is really one movie that I can't wait for, and that would be The Town, based off Chuck Hogan's book, Prince of Thieves. The movie looks like something I'll love, and if it ends up disappointing, I can still say it wins for best poster of the year. The month winds down with a few intriguing titles that I may or may not end up seeing. There's Woody Allen's annual movie, You Will Meet a tall Dark Stranger. The early word-of-mouth hasn't been enthusiastic, but the cast is amazing and Allen's work always divides people anyway. There's also the new Wall Street, which actually looks better than the original. But that one wasn't all that great, so I'm sort of indifferent about its sequel. One thing I wonder is if Michael Douglas' cancer will prevent him from promoting the movie. Finally, I'm secretly looking forward to Legend of the Guardians, simply because it's based off of a series that I once was pretty fond of. Oh yeah, and Devil looks good.

October is my favorite month for five reasons: my birthday is on the 8th, the baseball playoffs start, the weather gets cool and spooky, Halloween, and because the movies are almost always good, as a lot of great films that haven't necessarily been labeled Oscar bait come out. This October is no exception. It starts off with David Fincher's new movie, and an American remake of Let the Right One In. Those two should make for a fantastic double feature. Then there's Stone, which looks like a hit-or-miss, but it has Edward Norton, so I'm leaning towards it being great. I'm also excited about It's Kind of a Funny Story because I love anything from Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden. The movie looks less sincere than Half Nelson and Sugar, but the title alone tells you that it will be much more than just a comedy. I also look at Red as a fun excursion, though the age of the cast members combined with the softness of the MPAA rating have me a little uneasy. And then october ends with Clint Eastwood's Hereafter, which has me more excited than any other release this fall-and I haven't even seen the trailer yet. My only concern is that it will go overboard in the connections between the characters living vastly apart.

Danny Boyle should make November get off to a rocking start with his new project, 127 Hours. It tells the disturbing and intriguing story of Aron Ralston, who was trapped in a canyon for 127 hours back in 2003. James Franco stars in what looks like this year's Into the Wild-only better. I also look forward to Harry Potter 7, part 1, (for obvious reasons), Due Date, Paul Haggis' The Next Three Days, and The Tree of Life (if it gets released then). The latter was said to be coming out last December, but that possibility fell through because the movie supposedly wasn't finished. There was a rumor that it would be seen at Cannes in 2010, and now they're saying it's coming out in November. I feel confident that it will, but if it doesn't I can't complain too much. After all, I didn't have to wait twenty years for The Thin Red Line.

December offers some great mainstream entertainment that should make for Holiday time well-spent. There's The Tourist and The Fighter, neither of which have trailers but, based on their cast and premises, sound promising. I also think Tron: Legacy looks amazing even though I haven't seen the original (I will have by Dec 17). Christmas day gives maybe the best gift of all: A Coen brothers film. They're known for their originality, so it's ironic that they're remaking a John Wayne classic. But I thought the original was lame and I think it's an awesome move by the Coens. I also think Sofia Coppola's next movie, Somewhere, looks strong. Finally, one of the most talked about movies of the year is Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan. I admit the trailer didn't impress me, but I still can't wait.

Now, here's the ten movies I want to see the most, starting at 10 and going down to 1, with 1 being what I'm most eager for:

10. Stone.
9. Black Swan.
8. Tron: Legacy.
7. It's Kind of a Funny Story.
6. The Tree of Life.
5. True Grit.
4. 127 Hours.
3. The Social Network.
2. The Town.
1. Hereafter.



I'm psyched about the fall because the Rangers should be playing October baseball, family is all around, and because great movies will be seen. But speaking of those great movies, there are also a number of titles that I'm very dubious about. Voyage of the Dawn Treader looks awful, but is expected to be great. I'll try to stay away from it regardless of its reception. Mega Mind looks boring, Paranormal Activity 2 expendable, and Conviction far too worthy of being wannabe oscar detritus. And then there's action movies like Faster, which look far too hackneyed to go out and see. Also, an important movie coming out, Never Let Me Go, has me drifting back and forth in my uncertainly over it. The trailer immediately piqued my interest, but I gotta say it looks more like existential gunge than real sci-fi drama. I haven't read the book, but if it ends up being about what it means to be human, then I might just rather see Gattaca instead. But we'll see. All I know is that this is going to be a lot of fun.

Final note: two movies that I'm just as eager for as anything else this year are All Good Things and The Way Back. I'm not sure of the release dates for either film, but it seems likely they'll both find spots near the end of 2010.

No comments: