Thursday, October 7, 2010

It Happened One Night. A


Recently I got to thinking about classic romantic comedies that feature a newspaper reporter as a central character, and I managed to get get quite an accumulation. Some notables that come to mind are James Stewart in The Philadelphia Story, Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell in His Girl Friday, and a movie that I'm truly crazy about right now, Clark Gable in It Happened One Night. Here's a movie I've never really been interested in seeing, despite its director, Frank Capra, and its winning of all the major Oscars in 1934. Watching it for the first time was the equivalent of finding one of those cinematic treasures that makes seeing movies such a pleasure. These treasures are usually obscure movies not a lot of people have seen, which certainly isn't the case with It Happened One Night. But the fact that I knew it was famous, wasn't eager to see it, and ended up loving it as much as I did made the whole experience truly special. I could point out numerous great moments in the movie, but you've probably seen it so you don't need to be reminded how good it is. But one thing I would like to comment on is the film's ending. Clark Gable ends up getting the girl, but we don't actually see him in the final five minutes or so in the movie. So often in modern and classic romantic comedies, we see the guy and the girl together in the closing shot. Well, here they're together, but we don't see them, but rather the building they're in. I thought it ended in a great way, funny, fresh, and original. Pretty much like the rest of the movie, so, as you can guess, it's quite a masterpiece.

No comments: