Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Battle of Algiers. C+


This movie had me completely bored, and despite how good it really may be, I would hate to sit through it again. I know, it's a classic and that technically it's beyond its time. I know that Roger Ebert includes it in his Great Movies list, which has to mean it's a must see. And I know it depicts a time of great turmoil that's every bit as important as it is disturbing. But frankly it disinterested me. Maybe it's because the Algerian War reminded me of a time that meant a lot to hippies and made them angry and caused them to rebel. It's a generation that's gone by and frankly what they cared about I find somewhat insignificant. Or maybe it's because this movie reminded me of something one would see in a high school history class and fall asleep after the first few minutes. Or maybe it's because I don't think it makes good cinema, or rather, makes for better reading. If I want to learn about this battle, I want to explore a newspaper article, not see this movie. It's long, it's slow, it's meandering, it doesn't have much of a plot, and it's clearly trying to be provocative. I just didn't care for it.

No comments: