Saturday, April 16, 2011

Catching up on blu ray

Some movies I've seen on blu ray recently:

The Road. I've seen it three times now and it's so much better than I ever could have imagined. Yes, I love seeing it multiple times because I like it, but it also might have something to do with making sure it really is that good. The movie looks great on blu ray, as you can probably guess.

Blade Runner. When I think of hi def, I think of Blade Runner. I think how cool it would look in HD quality. That opening scene on blu ray is unlike anything I've ever seen. It's an amazing intro no matter the quality, but seeing it on blu ray is like seeing something you didn't think was possible. The rest of the movie looks fine, too, but when you buy the blu ray for this, you're really buying it for that opening scene.

Psycho. I'd never actually seen a black & white film on blu ray before this. I was dubious about it since one of the chief reasons to have blu ray is because of how vivid it makes the color. But I could still recognize the upgrade with this, even if seeing it on regular DVD would be pretty much the same experience. What I really cannot wait for is the Vertigo blu ray. I can't imagine that it won't come out. The only question is when?

I used to denigrate blu ray, but now that it's more affordable and I actually have an HD TV, I'm a big fan. I love seeing movies I love in their greatest possible form. It's also just a great excuse to see the movie again.

No comments: