Friday, September 9, 2011

Autumn and Cinema

Wait, it's already Fall movie season? The Summer movie period has ended, yet I can't say good riddance. Contrary to some, I actually thought this was a really fun Summer for movies. I generally ask for three or four really fantastic Summer movies, and 2011 provided. Not only that, but the movies I had high expectations for delivered on every account. Those were mainly Super 8, Captain America, and X-Men. All period pieces and all made by directors who know that movies are things that people really do like to hold on to. If you add to the mix the amazing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, then that's quite a summer. I never saw Thor, but I'm guessing I would have really liked that, too. And then of course there was Tree of Life and Midnight and Paris, two perfectly placed Summer movies that really celebrated our existence. The other big surprise of the Summer was Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which I regretfully have not seen despite its great reviews and box office success. But all that's past. Now we're into September, which is looking to be quite a month. Today Warrior and Contagion were released. I hear they're good but I don't know when I'll see them. The month gets stronger with Drive (Can't wait), Moneyball, and Jim Sheridan's Dream House.

Okay, here's what else I'm eager for: Take Shelter, The Ides of March (what a cast), In Time, The Rum Diary, J Edgar, Melancholia, A Dangerous Method, The Artist, The Lady, Carnage, and of course, The Adventures of Tintin and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

One quick note: two of the worlds most respected filmmakers, Spielberg and Scorsese, both have movies coming out this fall that happen to be for children (Spielberg actually has two, as War Horse, which no one seems very excited about, comes out a week after Tintin. Spielberg fans rejoice! You can see his two new films in a span of 8 days). 2009 had the same deal with Spike Jonze and Wes Anderson both directing kid movies, Where the Wild Things Are and Fantastic Mr. Fox. I'm really hopeful for Spielberg's interpretation of Tintin, but I'm rather dubious about Scorsese's Hugo. It will probably be pretty magical, but I'm having trouble working up any kind of excitement for it. Also, on another note, Cameron Crowe, Alexander Payne, and Jason Reitman all have movies coming out this fall/winter. I don't care much about them now, but I'm sure the inevitable critical raves will get me out of the house to see at least one of them.

No comments: