Friday, April 20, 2012

The Godfather. A

The first time I saw The Godfather was on a poor, fuzzy VHS copy a few years ago. An upgrade to DVD, plus a greater wealth of movie knowledge turned my opinion on a second viewing from all around good film to a film that's every bit as good as everyone says it is. I saw The Godfather again not because I wanted to love it but just because it was a necessity. I couldn't honestly argue its strengths or weaknesses based on that one, highly un-cinematic viewing. It turns out the movie absolutely wowed me a second time. If there was a perfect movie it would be this one simply because no one can really see any place where it falters. I was thinking it had gotten lazy in Michael Corleone's development from war hero opposed to the family business to the next Godfather. It really seemed like it hadn't given him much time to reflect on the decision. Then I deduced that he didn't need to. It's when his wife is blown up in the car that he sees there's no going back. He's going to be in this for life, so he might as well be at the top of it (one can guess from his war hero status that Michael's a high achiever in any field he pursues). I don't have anything really original to say about this movie, but right now it's awfully tempting to say it's objectively the best, most complete motion picture ever made. And I also think it's better than Godfather II, mainly because of Brando. His performance might just be the best thing he ever did. 

No comments: