Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thelma and Louise. B-

With Prometheus opening this week, I figured I'd check out a Ridley Scott film I hadn't seen before: Thelma and Louise. It's one of the more iconic 90s films, and it's easy to see why. These two characters are very watchable, not enormously interesting but always entertaining. If I were to nitpick about the movie it would be that they lack great complexity. It's a smart movie, but it doesn't seem to have many intelligent people in it. That being said, maybe there wouldn't be a movie if these two ladies were truly smart. For the most part, their emotions rule, and if they didn't, there wouldn't be a whole lot happening in the film. I suppose what it comes down to is that I wish maybe there had been a bit more seriousness to the whole thing. Scott seems out to charm and amuse and as a result pretty much every character's a goofball. But it's all very entertaining, and Scott provides the right sparks at the right times to keep the movie flying towards its famous conclusion.

No comments: