Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Mann Time

Hey, there's a new Michael Mann movie in production! It's been four years since Mann released his last film, Public Enemies, which I may not entirely love but still enjoy the hell out of each time I see it. Mann's new movie, an untitled cyber-crime project, stars Chris Hemsworth. Mann always gets great performances from his actors (usually A-listers who surprise us, like Will Smith in Ali, Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell in Miami Vice, and definitely Tom Cruise in Collateral). Hemsworth hasn't really gotten a chance to show us what he's truly made of, but I've seen him do enough good work in big budget movies like Star Trek, Thor, and Cabin in the Woods that I think he's definitely capable of pulling of something special with Mann. 

There's no word on how Mann will be shooting the picture, but I imagine it'll be digital. What I'm really most curious about is whether Mann will strip down his narrative and characters the way he's done in his recent work, or whether he'll return to his classical storytelling methods found in Heat and The Insider. Either way, I can't wait. It's been too long since Mann has shown up in a movie theatre. 

No comments: