Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Little Vacation

I just went to my Medieval Literature professor's office and recited the first 18 lines of The Canterbury Tales in Middle English. Not an easy task. We had until Thanksgiving break to finish it, so I literally waited till the last minute, especially because the professor said he was in a mad hurry to get to the store to do some shopping. 

In any event, the conclusion of that marks the beginning of a nice five day break, as Thanksgiving is upon us, and I can finally relax some after what's been the most rigorous semester of my college career. What are my plans? For one, movies! I haven't been able to catch anything the last few weeks, so I'm hoping to at least check 12 Years a Slave and Nebraska off my list. Also, I never saw Captain Phillips, so if I can find a theatre still showing it, I might check that out. 

Other than that, besides the usual festivities, I plan on doing reading to prepare for my upcoming 12 page essay on Psycho. Kendall Phillips has a long chapter on the film in Projected Fears, which I'll be reading. I'm also armed with the ever handy BFI text, which is actually more like a full length book. Its almost 300 pages offer a meticulous dissection of every scene in the film. The paper's not due until Dec. 12th, but it can't hurt to get the research going early. Besides, it's all enjoyable, rich stuff. I don't quite know what I want to write about, yet. A New Critical approach would be easy, yet there's so much going on the film relating to American culture and Hollywood in general that it'd be hard not focus on those aspects as well. We'll see. For now, I just need to absorb this stuff. 

No comments: