Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween!

It happened that my film class fell on Halloween night, so my professor fittingly decided to offer a horror double feature. Just finished Romero's Night of the Living Dead, which I shockingly had never seen. It's excellent. Obviously the dialogue is a little cheap, but the rest of it is surprisingly well-done, particularly the way it just slows down to an almost dead halt for a while after its explosive opening. 

Now I've got an hour off before the second film, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, begins. That too is another classic I haven't seen, so I'm pretty psyched, and unlike Romero's film, fully ready to be scared. 

As usual, this week I've seen some horror movies, though not as much as I would have liked what with the semester getting a little crazy right about now. I did see Fulci's City of the Living Dead, which was a bit of a disappointment besides some utterly amazing gross-out special effects.

Then I saw Carpenter's Halloween in a room full of people who had never seen it. I'd only seen it once before, and not only does it hold up as a perfect horror movie, but maybe as a perfect movie in general. As I mentioned when I wrote about it after seeing it for the first time two years ago, Carpenter essentially has us scared the whole way through by making the first half, which is set in broad daylight, as frightening as the classic nighttime scenes. 

No comments: